Learning Challenge- reading out loud

The point of this challenge was to read our next reading assignment out loud. Since we're at the end of the semester and don't have any more reading assignments (woop woop!), I decided to read a few passages out loud from the book I'm currently reading, Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. I've read this book before and am currently re-reading it. Something that I struggle with as a reader is impatience; I tend to get so invested in the storyline that I'll try to read as quickly as possible to see what happens next, without taking the time to savor the writing. This challenge forced me to slow down, something that I've been consciously trying to work on lately. I also liked that when I read my book out loud, I developed a new appreciation for Rand's writing style. She's always been one of my favorite authors and I already appreciated her talent for writing well, but hearing her words out loud reminded me of just how poetically and eloquently she writes her in her novel. Hearing her words rather than seeing them inspired me to try to emulate her writing style in my own personal writing.

Comments

Popular Posts