Microfiction: Pond Riddles

Character count: 277
The Pandavas came upon a pond, which all but one drank from and died; the last brother answered all of its riddles correctly and was granted two wishes. He wished for his brothers to come back to life and for all of them to be unrecognizable by anyone in the world for a year.

Character count: 146
Four Pandavas drank from a pond and died. The fifth outsmarted the pond and reclaimed his brothers, then hid them so they couldn't be taken again.

Author's Note: For this assignment, I wanted to retell the story of the Pandava's encounter with the riddling pond. It was tricky trying to hone this story down to just a few characters, and then even more challenging to try and split it in half again. For brevity's sake, I couldn't go into detail, so I couldn't include much about the riddles themselves. However, I think the main point of the story is how Yudhishthira saved his family, and I tried to focus on that in my versions.

Comments

Popular Posts