Week 7 story

Yudhishthira trailed back through the forest, wondering where his four brothers could have gone. Did they get turned around on their way to the pond? When he approached the pond at last, however, Yudhishthira was met with the sight of his four brothers all lying dead on the ground around the water's edge. A deep, reverberating voice called out to Yudhishthira from the pond.
"The four you see on the ground before me are dead. They did not heed my warning, and drank from the waters before they had answered any of my questions. However, if you answer my questions correctly, you will be spared and will be allowed to drink. If your answers please me, your family will be given back to you." 
The riddles flew in fast and heavy like raindrops. Questions about philosophy, art, ethics, government, and humanity came in quick succession. One after another, Yudhishthira answered each question with care. Despite the best efforts of the river spirit to thwart him, it seemed that Yudhishthira was to be victorious after all. 
The grueling ordeal was drawing to an end. Yudhishthira could sense that he was close to escaping with his life, and potentially the lives of his brothers and wife which were still held in delicate balance. Yudhishthira's excitement grew, and his usual calm demeanor slipped slightly from nerves. Sensing an opportunity at last, the river spirit chuckled to himself before asking his final riddle- easily the most difficult to parry in his arsenal. 
Yudhishthira grew afraid. This was a question to which he did not know the answer. He sent a quick prayer to the gods before tentatively giving his reply. The last thing Yudhishthira heard was a roar of laughter, followed by the rushing of water. 

Author's Note: For this week's story, I wanted to ask the question of what if Yudhishthira ended up ultimately failing and all five of the Pandavas were wiped out by a pond spirit? Whenever I read this part of the Mahabharata, I remember wondering what would have happened if Yudhishthira wasn't able to keep his cool and get them out of that situation. 

Bibliography:
Mahabharata, Vyasa, http://ouocblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/mahabharata-online-public-domain-edition.html

Comments

  1. James,
    I really like the approach you are coming at for this story. I remember being a little confused at first when I first read this story, so your retelling definitely helped clear some things up for me. I think it's interesting that you chose to change the ending to see what would have happened if Yudhishthira failed. You could maybe add more to the end of the story by describing what Yudhishthira saw and experienced before he died.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi James,

    This story is really fascinating coming from this specific perspective! I didn't really understand this story to the full extent when I first read it, so reading other classmates versions of the story always help clear up a few questions I have! I think it's an interesting take to see if Yudhishthira actually failed or not in his journey.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts