Growth Mindset: stick figures

When I was in high school, we learned about the 10,000 hour rule and how if you just practiced something for long enough, eventually your skills would improve. While learning about the 10,000 hour rule, we were told that this practice is applicable to our every day lives, and that it could be translated to most activities.
This article reconfirmed for me the importance of repetition when it comes to certain skills, such as playing an instrument or a sport. Diligence is often the deciding factor when it comes to talent in these areas. After reading this article, I was surprised to learn that the 10,000 hour rule doesn't apply very well to more creative hobbies or practices. In a way, I found this to be very reassuring. I've always wished I was more artistically gifted, but have felt discouraged from trying to learn and improve myself since I always believed it would take a very long time to see any results. However, this article suggests that creativity isn't so black and white that it can be measured in hours. Maybe now I'll start practicing art for the fun of it! This is what I think my art skills look like right now:

Comments

Popular Posts